3D Touch is indeed a very useful innovation on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s, the feature brings great convenience to our daily use. We all know that the stock Messages app will show read receipts when we reading the incoming messages. However, we do not need this “Read Receipts” in some special cases.
Now there exists a simple trick that you may not know on your iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s, the stock Messages app on the new iPhones offers many 3D Touch shortcuts. One of the 3D Touch shortcut allows users to read recent conversation without even opening a thread. Users can also peek on a Messages thread and read the latest message.
Users can also peek on a Messages thread and read the latest message. What makes this feature even more useful is that on iOS 9 when you peek to read a message, the ‘Read’ report is not sent to the sender of the message, even though you have already read it. This means you can read a message without letting the person on the other know you have read his or her message. This is super useful in scenarios when you want to reply at a later time but you don’t want the person on the other end to feel ignored.
Here’s how to do it
- Buy an iPhone 6S or 6S plus if you don’t already have one
- Open the messages app and scroll to the iMessage thread whose message you want to read without sending the read receipt to the sender.
- Force tap and hold on it to get the peek or preview of the messages.
- Be careful not to pop the iMessage thread, as if you do so the Read receipt will be sent right away.
- You can also swipe up while holding to bring up the options menu, which will allow you to read messages more comfortably.
Of course if you want to turn off Read receipts for all users you can also do so from Settings. Jailbreak users have other options as well.